What are Crisis Services?

Human Resources Development Institute (HRDI) provides mobile assessment services for adults who are experiencing a psychiatric crisis and seek treatment at a local emergency department.  During the assessment, adults in crisis (who are admitted to the emergency department at a hospital on the South-side of Chicago) are provided with supportive assistance and if necessary, linkages to resources within the community.

HRDI maintains professional clinical staff on duty 24-hours-a-day to provide mental health emergency services.  Hospital staff at participating facilities are provided with an emergency crisis line where HRDI crisis clinicians receive calls 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.  Once called, HRDI clinicians are required to be on site for the assessment within 60 minutes.



Psychiatric Assessment Services (PAS):

PAS staff provide assessment services to patients at Jackson Park Hospital, St. Bernard Hospital and Roseland Hospital who are experiencing a psychiatric crisis.


Acute Community Services (ACS):

ACS staff provide activities or services to residents who live on the South Side of Chicago.  These residents have been seen or discharged from a hospital due to a psychiatric crisis and have been referred to ACS for intense, outpatient and community based therapeutic programming.


Southside Collaborative (SSC) Comparable Services Mobile Crisis Services:

Mobile clinicians provide assessment, linkage and crisis stabilization services to adults in the emergency departments of selected acute care hospitals; provide stabilization for those individuals after their crisis and provide transitional living assistance and referrals to prepare those with serious mental illness to reintegrate successfully into community living settings.



 What is a Crisis?

A psychiatric crisis can include, but is not limited to: suicidal or homicidal thinking and/or behavior, acute psychotic symptoms such as hearing voices, physical aggression to others; refusal of psychiatric or medical care because of impaired insight or judgment; increased drug or alcohol use, and sudden changes in mental status.


What should I do if I or a loved one is experiencing a psychiatric crisis?

If the person has a mental health service provider such as a psychiatrist, therapist, case manager, or other mental health worker, attempt to obtain their professional assistance in determining appropriate action.  If the adult in question does not have access to a service provider, bring your loved one to the nearest emergency department.


What are the early warning signs for a pending crisis?

Changes in sleep patterns; being socially withdrawn from others; losing interest in his/her appearance; inability to function at work or in school; paranoia or increased suspicion; hopelessness and/or helplessness are a few of the most frequent signs.


What should I do if the adult in crisis refuses to accept help?

Often an individual cannot accept the need for help. If you feel that there is an immediate need for services, do not hesitate to call 911. A police officer will come and provide a cursory assessment of the situation. If the officer feels the individual requires immediate service then he/she has the authority to place the individual into custody and take them to a facility where a mental health evaluation can be conducted by a mental health professional.


What happens at a crisis assessment?

A trained crisis response clinician will gather information about the individual’s recent behavior, previous problems and treatment, and assess the acuteness of the situation. If the situation requires immediate treatment, the individual will be referred for inpatient psychiatric treatment.  However, every effort will be made to arrange for treatment in the community. Generally short-term crisis stabilization or voluntary hospitalization, if needed, is the first option.


What is Involuntary Treatment?

If the individual refuses all voluntary help, s/he may be appropriate for involuntary treatment. It is important to remember that a mental disorder alone is not sufficient to justify an involuntary detention. Under state mental illness laws, only a person who is a risk to himself or others; or is not caring for his/her basic needs such as eating sleeping, clothing and shelter due to his/her mental disorder or shows severe deterioration in functioning ability and is not receiving essential care can be considered for involuntary hospitalization.


What if my child or my teenager is having a crisis?

In addition to adults, hospital crisis clinicians serve as the entry point to crisis services for children. Children (0-17) and DCFS Wards (0-20) are screened by the CARES line which ensures a single, countywide, integrated and comprehensive system of crisis response for children and youth.  CARES stands for Crisis and Referral Entry Services.  You should call CARES when a child is at risk to himself or others, and any time you or others think a child is having a mental health crisis.

1 (800) 345-9049 (Voice)
1 (866) 794-0374 (TTY)


What Is The Purpose of CARES?

CARES links parents, caregivers or callers to a special screening, assessment and support program known as SASS. CARES will ask questions about the child’s behavior. Then CARES will either send the local SASS provider to see you and your child or refer you to mental health or other services.  SASS stands for Screening, Assessment and Support Services.  SASS provides intensive mental health services for children and youth who may need hospitalization for mental health care.


I’m not in crisis but I would like to become a client of HRDI’s Division of Mental Health?

Call the HRDI Intake department to schedule a mental health assessment and/or screening for you or your family member.  The Intake Department also provides referrals for ineligible consumers to local providers in the community.


INTAKE DEPARTMENT; OFFICE: (773) 660-4630; FAX: (773) 660-4650; 




National Suicide Prevention Hotlines
1-800-SUICIDE (784-2433)
1-800-273-TALK (8255)


Suicide Prevention/Crisis Intervention



DMH/ Warm Line: Peer and Family Support

1 (866) 359-7953 (Voice)

1 (866) 880-4459 (TTY)

Hours of Operation: M – F: 8am-5pm


Call 911 in the event of an emergency.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s